SOCIAL MEDIA

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Struggles at Work

I haven’t had to work at the office for days in a row for a long time. In almost two years, actually. I usually have to go into the office once every couple of weeks or so, but just for a single day at a time.

This past week, I have been away from home the entire week. It has brought up all of those struggles that I used to have going into the office.

First off, I have less time. I wake up at 5 AM and have to leave the house at 6:45. I have to pack healthy lunches for hubby and I, make a healthy breakfast, do other morning routines, not to mention get ready to go to work. My morning is gone before I know it.

The work day is tiring. There are vending machines packed with unhealthy foods. Sugar looks so tempting when you are tired. I am happy to say that I am a lot less tempted by the vending machine than I used to be. I would much rather eat the bag of grapes that I packed than I would want to eat the things that are in those machines. Mostly because I know how I will feel after eating the unhealthy items. But the point is, the office could use a little healthifying. No wonder there are so many obese people in the office, including myself!

Another challenge is when everyone wants to go out to eat together. This happened yesterday. Everyone decided to take a long lunch and go out for Chinese food. I couldn’t be the only one not to go. That would be unsociable. Plus, Chinese food is good. So I went. I ate one plate of food and some pudding. I’m happy with myself for that. Should I have eaten the salad bar? Yes, in a perfect world. But instead, I limited my portions, ate until I was full, and didn’t let myself overeat.

And then yesterday, I got home with just enough time to eat supper and then we were out the door for our church meeting. We didn’t get home until almost 10:00. And so it was straight to bed since I had to get up at 5 AM again this morning. That leaves little time for exercise. And I know that the important thing is carving out the time for exercise. I plan to do that today. I don’t feel as good when I am not being as active as I usually am.

But the point I am trying to make is that I had forgotten how many struggles there are when you have to actually leave the house to go to work. It’s so much easier for me when I am working from home. So for all of you that don’t have the privilege to work from home, I respect your dedication to health in being able to make great decisions for your health, even when at work!

8 comments :

  1. Great job trying to make an effort staying fit while being busy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing great. I'm just the opposite. I do so much better when I'm at work. We dont have vending machines, so I can only eat what I take with me. When I'm home I have more opportunity to snack, and even though I don't buy junk, eating too much isn't much better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are very lucky to work from home. Hopefully you'll find another when you land your next job. I rarely do the lunch thing with people. I eat my little snacks in my office and when we do have Birthday lunches I go but I'm not a "lunch" person so I'm usually okay. You'll back at home soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I toally agree with you. I am also lucky to work at home, and I know the struggles when you have to go back in. Its hard on everything in your life!

    ~Shauna~
    www.ShaunaWyrick.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Before I did medical transcription from home, I did it in a gastroenterologist's office and then a hospital. At the GI doc's office, drug reps were constantly catering our lunches or bringing in fresh donuts as treats. I ate and ate. At the hospital, I loved the cafeteria. Trying all kinds of new foods was so awesome. I ate and ate. There is NO TELLING how big I'd be today if I had worked in public all these years. Yes, I overate at home and still gained lots of weight... but I didn't have the luxury of eating big-time foods and pastries all the time. I can only shudder to think. LOL

    Good job on just having one plate of Chinese food. You have mentioned Mexican and Chinese in the past couple days. Both of those are major loves of mine. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can imagine that's a tough one to balance. Hats off to ya. When I quit teaching to stay at home, I knew things would be different, and a little easier not having to balance work and home any longer...

    hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually find it harder to eat healthier at home instead of when I used to work in an office! One thing I used to do was pack breakfast, lunch and snacks the night before and then work out first thing in the morning. Good luck to you!!!

    Jen@FoodFamilyFitness

    ReplyDelete
  8. HI Alissa, I know you'll find a good balance when you have office days! (I've never worked at home, not sure if I'd be good at it...I may distract myself)
    Have a wonderful Friday.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...