SOCIAL MEDIA

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Hormones?

This past month has been crazy. I have pretty much had my period or PMS the entire month. No joke. I plan on talking to my doctor about it this week. This new BC pill is not working out for me.

Remember how I said I just kept craving the wrong things. I mean I wanted chips, cookies, cake, candy, chocolate, Chinese food, Mexican food, steaks, mashed potatoes, and even fried chicken. And if you know anything about me, I HATE FRIED CHICKEN. So why would I crave it?

Don’t get me wrong, I never ate the fried chicken and I did not cave to every craving that I had. I just struggled and struggled and struggled. It was like my mind had been taken over by unhealthy food aliens.

I have my fair share of cravings in my typical weeks. I usually satisfy them by eating a cupcake or by eating the foods in portion controlled amounts. And I get over it.

So after those terrible cravings, I once again get my period for the 3rd time this month. And what do you know? BAM. All cravings gone. I am back to craving strawberries, grapes, oatmeal, lettuce, and grilled chicken.

Wait, WHAT?

How does that happen? I’m starting to wonder if it’s my hormones. I’ve heard Jillian Michaels talk a lot about endocrinologists in regard to weight loss. If the hormonal balance is off, this can cause varied problems.

My doctors have always told me that birth control pills do not cause you to gain weight. Sure, maybe the pill itself does not make you gain weight, but if it shifts your hormonal balance, couldn’t you be left craving foods, etc. and if you succumb to the cravings, you would gain weight? Right? And these cravings can be SO STRONG, it’s not just a matter of self control sometimes!

This is just a thought that has crossed my mind. I’m no expert and I may be totally off base. I want to research it more, but we all know how Dr. Google can be misleading.

Have you had an experience like mine? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

6 comments :

  1. Our bodies are so weird. If you are taking a new BC pill then it could be all hormonal. Wonder how things would change if you changed it up? Ive been to a endocrinologist and they do a panel of testing and can get very expensive, so I would try switching things up first with your BC. When I went they didnt find anything different then the thyroid problem I already had.

    I enjoy your blog, Im a new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i stopped taking the pill a few days ago. I've been on it since i was in 5th grade (ortho tri cyclin). I thought it might help to reduce my hunger... not sure if it helped or not. I'm starving today...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was on a new BC pill in February for 1 week, in that week I gained a pound a day and I was crazy. I had to stop taking them because I really thought I was going to die or gain 100lbs. I wasn't eating anything out of the normal and never went over my calories for the day and was exercising like normal, but was still gaining weight. After that, I experienced the craziest cravings. I had two periods that month, a really long one last month and I'm hoping and praying that this month is normal!

    Jen@FoodFamilyFitness

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to stop taking them bc of similar issues. It's hard to figure out birth control/protection when the pills are such a horrible hormonal balance. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Dad is a gyno and I've talked to him about this before. Hormones can affect cravings, which will then likely lead you to eat more. But he doesn't believe the pill will cause you to gain more than 1-2lbs of water weight. I think a lot of it is in my own head lol. I have noticed that the lower-dosage hormone pill I'm on, the less it seems to affect me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been on the pill for over 20 years and I've never had weight gain as a result of the pill.

    In fact, if I compare to the periods of time where I was off the pill (trying to get prego) - I would definitely say the cravings were stronger the week before and during my period.

    I've heard people go so far to say - cravings are what are bodies need (in other there is some nutrient in those cravings our body wants) but I think that is an excuse - based on my past cravings, I'm pretty sure my body does not need high doses of fast food, ice cream, chips, and salty stuff. :)

    Are cravings more mental than physical? Worth pondering...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...