SOCIAL MEDIA

Thursday, April 5, 2012

The Butterfly Analogy #HAWMC

(source)

I often feel like a butterfly emerging from a cocoon. Although my cocoon was self imposed, a barrier that I created to try to protect myself from the things I was scared of, the things that hurt me, and my own self-hatred. And so, at my lowest, when I felt that there was no hope, I climbed into my cocoon and found my home there.

And then something happened. I started to take action. It started with a single choice to try to lose weight. Not something I had never done before. But this time it was different. I started to have more successes than failures. And because of that, I started to believe in myself.

It has taken me years to get where I am today, and I know I still have some changes to endure, but I have begun to emerge into my true self. I am no longer hiding because I’m afraid. I have begun to love myself, not in an egotistical way, but I have become happy with myself, realizing I’m not as bad as I thought I was. There is hope. Change really is possible.

I cannot even begin to explain the changes that I have endured over the past few years. My body has physically changed, and is still in the process of change, but those are not the changes I’m talking about. I’m talking about the real changes. The ones that have completely changed me into a new, or to put it better, evolved person.

Self confidence goes a long way. There is nothing wrong with learning to value oneself. I now believe that I deserve nothing but the best. I am not going to settle for anything else. This drives me and it pushes me. It has caused me to step outside of my comfort zone and fight for myself, much to the surprise of those who have known me for so long. And it hasn’t been easy, but I can tell you, it has been worth it.

Just remember, every butterfly has a past. Each butterfly was once a caterpillar without the ability to fly. Once again, I’m not talking about this in the sense of physical beauty, but about inner beauty. You’ve all met people like this. Those that have empathy and love for others, kindness of heart, compassion, and a smile on the face because of a true joy in the heart. Most of these people have endured pain in some way or another and have come through it, their soul beauty showing through, emerging as a butterfly.

You are worth it. Fight for yourself, fight for others going through times when they can’t fight for themselves, take risks for the things that are important to you. It will be worth it. To become a butterfly, you must loosen the grip you have on your true self and allow the new you to emerge. Painful in the process, but beautiful when it soars.

This post is part of a series of posts that will run through the month of April as part of the Health Activist Writer’s Month Challenge.

1 comment :

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...