SOCIAL MEDIA

Monday, April 2, 2012

Feel Like Giving Up? #HAWMC


Do you remember what you felt like the very first day that you decided you were going to change your life by becoming a healthier person? Remember how excited you were?

I know I do! Probably because this happened more than once in my life. But after a while, the initial excitement begins to wear off and that’s when you make the most important decision—whether to keep going or to give up.

This time around is the first time that I have not given up. And what has made this time different?
Thinking of the reason why I held on so long.

THE REASON. Most importantly.

I have said before that finding your “why” is so important. Why do you want to lose weight? Why do you want to get healthier? It’s important to find good, solid reasons and constantly remind yourself of them.

I often find myself getting discouraged on this journey. The scale starts to play games with my mind. I put in the hard work by exercising and eating right and when I don’t see the progress on the scale I start to question why I even try. Often times, that even leads me to start sabotaging my efforts.

But ultimately, I have to remind myself of why I started in the first place. When I weighed 288 lbs., life was a lot different for me. I was in pain physically and emotionally. I was unhappy. I felt hopeless. I felt ugly. I wouldn’t wish those feelings on anyone. I never want to go back to that place. Reminding myself of that helps me keep holding on and pressing towards my goal.

I am not doing this so that I can see a certain number on the scale. I am doing this so that I can be happy with myself. So I don’t have to look in the mirror and break down in tears. So that I can feel proud of what I have accomplished. So that my husband has a healthy wife by his side. And even more importantly, so that both hubby and I can be good role models to our kids someday.

My weight loss affects more than just me. I have developed new habits that have made hubby and I both healthier. It even helped hubby drop a significant amount of weight. It has made both of us healthier and happier. And that’s what I’m doing this for. Not for the number on the scale or a smaller size on my clothing tag.

Truly and honestly, this journey has completely changed my life, our lives, actually. And I’m not even there yet!

So while I am struggling, and while I sometimes wish I could just give up, I will remember the reasons why I have held on so long.

What are your reasons?

This post is part of a series of posts that will run through the month of April as part of the Health Activist Writer’s Month Challenge.

6 comments :

  1. I just made the "think of why you've held on for so long" the background of my laptop. It really hits home. I've been trying to lose weight for so long, just like 20lbs that I gained due to emotional eating. And I want to lose it so I can finally just be DONE. Finally have it gone. And like you said, to be happy. Happy with myself and to feel normal again. I may be sick of dieting and restricting and such, but I want to get back to the healthy, normal me. That's why I've held on for so long.

    Keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to remind myself of these things too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. I've been reading your blog for awhile, and you're such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love following your blog and love your posts!!

    Shannon
    http://www.everystepcounts365.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally hit the nail on the head there, I think this is a universal theme for anyone trying to lose weight. Thanks for the motivation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great post! I am struggling just getting that "feeling" to start, even though my head says START, my motivation is low. I hope someday I can look back and think on my reasons I've held on so long!!

    http://thebiggerpictureproject.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...