SOCIAL MEDIA

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Traveling and Work Trips

Hello! It’s been a while since I updated, so I thought I would take a moment to let you all know how I’ve been doing.

As I’ve mentioned, I’ve been on a work trip all week. I don’t travel up here all that often, but when you do, they really spoil you.

In the morning, trays of bagels, muffins, coffee, and fruit are brought into the room. Each day, I have managed to eat a good breakfast at the hotel and only eat fruit and coffee at work. So that’s good.

Lunch time has involved eating out once (I ordered soup and salad but caved and ate one small biscuit. The second lunch was make your own sandwiches. The worst part was the fabulous bread and I also had a few homemade chips and a cookie. The third lunch was pizza. I stayed mindful of my hunger signals and ate ONE piece, but also had a cookie and some toffee. I guess I feel like I’m doing terribly, but I have been watching my portions and quantities of food. I do drink plenty of water, as usual.

They take us to these great local restaurants with fabulous food in the evenings. They order lots of appetizers and everyone is allowed drinks (although I stick to iced tea or one diet soda) and once this was followed by dessert (of which I ate two bites).

But the entrees, I probably could have done better with. My thought philosophy was, I’m never going to eat at these places again, nor do hubby and I frequently dine at places where the average meal costs $15 per plate. So I ordered what I wanted but watched my portions and never cleaned my plate.

But the food we’ve been eating is not conducive to weight loss or health for that matter. I am afraid to step on the scale at home tomorrow and see how much damage has been done.

I have exercised every single day though at 5 a.m.! That’s an accomplishment. And outdoors, where it’s like 17 degrees. The first day, I ran 2 miles by myself. The next two days, my coworker offered to come with me and walk. We walked for a little over 30 minutes each day. It was nice to have someone to talk to! At least I’ve kept my exercise constant.

Last week I was traveling all week too, although miraculously, I only gained a couple of pounds over the course of that trip. My eating was A LOT better than it has been this week though.

So is life. I have to find a balance, and I’m trying. This doesn’t mean the end of the road if I have gained some weight, but just another week in my journey. I’ll be back to normal soon. But I know how frustrating it is to stay completely on track for a month and barely lose a thing, but I’ll bet I’ll have gained all that back and more in a matter of days. I’ll keep my fingers crossed that, if that’s the case, it comes back off quickly!

Have a good day!

9 comments :

  1. With the exercising and watching what you are eating when travelling, you might not have to be scared stepping on the scale. You sound like you are being careful with your choices and thats tough to do when travelling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds to me like you're doing a fantastic job while enjoying the rare opportunities that only a business trip can bring. Way, way, way to go getting up at 5 to workout! You are compensating for the extra calories so that's what matters. You can't expect to lose weight but maintaining is the goal this week. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Traveling is hard!! You are doing as well as can be expected given the situation. Relax and enjoy the experience! You are doing awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. work trips are always hard!!! stressful too!!! sounds like u are doing good though!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like a super hard situation to be in! If they can treat you all that well, it's too bad they don't rent a hotel with a gym and indoor pool. Phooey! Amazing to get up at 5 am and exercise OUTSIDE, at least in my book! :) At least you know whatever the scale says, once you get back to eating healthfully it should come back down. Maybe you will have your thyroid results when you get back, too. You are doing all you can in a situation like this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So take your week and multiply it by every week for 10 years and you have my life and how I gained 85 lbs in a decade. It's really (really) hard. When I was being good, I'd find fruit or even go to a store close to the hotel and pack snacks. I also was really good about packing workout gear and if I didn't feel like hitting the hotel gym, I'd take a chance to explore my new surroundings by foot. I'd also try not to drink my calories in these yummy food settings. Lots and lots of water.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds to me like you are being VERY mindful and doing well in an unusual situation. Take care Alissa, safe travels home!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work Alissa! You should be very proud of yourself for making good decisions and getting your activity in!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...