SOCIAL MEDIA

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Honoring my Grandpa: A Marine

I spent the afternoon today at a Memorial Day Banquet for veterans at the assisted living home where my grandpa is living. It was a special experience and I’m so glad I got to go!

They were giving rides in old military vehicles. We rode in a Jeep from 1943. Here’s my grandpa all ready to go!

GrandpaVeteran 006

And here we all are! It was a very windy day and a very windy ride!

GrandpaVeteran 010

A little closer:

GrandpaVeteran 013

My grandpa talked to the driver about his time in the Marines in WWII. I know he enjoyed the ride and I’m sure it broke up the monotony of his days.

GrandpaVeteran 016

Here’s my grandpa as he always is…I asked to take his picture and he stuck his tongue out when I snapped the picture. lol

GrandpaVeteran 022

And a more serious one:

GrandpaVeteran 023

This one didn’t turn out so well, but an active duty Marine gave my grandpa a Marines hat and t-shirt and thanked him for his service.

GrandpaVeteran 024

This man also served in the Marines and gave my grandpa sand from the shores of Iwo Jima. Very touching.

GrandpaVeteran 027

GrandpaVeteran 028

I am proud of my Grandpa’s service in the Marines and all of his sacrifice so that we can be free.

Thank you to all of the veterans out there!!

8 comments :

  1. So Sweet! Makes me miss my dear Grandpa so much! Please thank your Grandfather for his service to our country!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww what a nice day. Glad you could be there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet! My Grandpa also served in WWII, although is health is too poor to talk about it or do something like this. I bet he would have loved this though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very thankful for your grandpa's sacrifice. We have made it a practice for our kids to walk up and say "thank you for your service" to every person they see with a military/veteran hat on. It always takes the person aback, but after they realize what's being said you can see how thankful they are to be recognized and thanked. Special people! Love the spunk of him sticking his tongue out. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great way to thank your Grandpa for his service!! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a wonderful tribute to your grandpa! :) So Sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a wonderful tribute to your grandpa! :) So Sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww...what a sweet tribute to a very special man!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...