SOCIAL MEDIA

Friday, October 7, 2011

Tracking the BP

Yesterday I had a good day eating wise. I was very proud of myself for not going home and stuffing myself with food. Instead, I controlled myself and ate when I was hungry. I did use a few weekly points, but that’s what they're there for. The important thing is that I stayed in control.

I started to track my BP yesterday. I found a great App for my phone where I can enter in my BP and pulse and it tracks it and averages out overall and by the time of day. This will be very helpful! My BP averaged 126/81 yesterday afternoon and this morning. That’s MUCH better than at the doctor’s office! I think I was very anxious at the doctor’s office—especially because they had a student do the exam and she wasn’t as smooth as the doctor usually is. Not to mention the nurse kept walking in and out of the room during the exam…But anyway! The number is still considered pre-hypertension, so there is room for improvement. I don’t think it should be that high when I am taking medicine for it every day? My pulse averaged 67 or so.

I track my BP on a wrist monitor I picked up a few years ago. I have taken it into the doctor with me before and we tested it and it’s very accurate.

10711 008

I appreciate all of your suggestions yesterday. Especially the information on the white coat syndrome. I knew that was a possibility but got so wrapped up in what they were telling me that I didn’t logically conclude that it could be that! But it’s definitely something to keep my eye on to see how it actually averages out.

For breakfast this morning I had PB/banana toast with a glass of milk for 5 points.

10711 006

While working, I sipped on a pumpkin spice coffee with creamer for 1 point.

10711 007

It was SO good to be working at home again today!!

On my first break, I ate some carrots for 0 points.

10711 013

Look what my sister mailed me!

10711 012

Thanks!! I have so many great workout DVDs—there will be no excuses for not getting in a good workout this winter when it’s too cold to workout outside!

Around lunch time, I took my BP again and it was higher. 144/95 and 138/86. I also had a headache and felt very tired. My pulse was about the same, 69 bpm.

For lunch, I ate a salad that I threw together using leftovers last night. I heated it up and also had FF cottage cheese and pickles for a total of 7 points.

10711 014

I finished it up with a Fiber One brownie for 2 points.

10711 015

I never add salt to food when I’m eating it or when I’m cooking anymore. I stopped doing that a long time ago. But I am starting to pay attention to the sodium content of the packaged foods I’m eating. If I am more aware of what I am eating, maybe that will help me make heart healthy choices. How long does it take for sodium to raise your BP? Can eating something at lunch raise it immediately or within hours?

In the afternoon, my BP remained high but my pulse lowered to 58 consistently. How weird is that? I was very tired, which I often am in the afternoons.

I was hungry on my last break but didn’t want to use any more points, so I ate an apple for 0 points.

10711 016

I also had a banana for 0 points.

10711 017

I hear bananas help lower blood pressure. That’s good because I love them.

Hubby and I are going to Panera Bread for supper. I am going to have the You Pick Two Asian Chicken Salad, Broccoli Cheese Soup, and a whole grain baguette for 15 points. That will leave me with 2 points left for the day!

Another good day!! Hubby and I are also planning on getting some exercise in later tonight. A walk sounds nice!

Have a wonderful weekend!!

2 comments :

  1. I had a pretty big wake up call at my doctor's office last week. My blood pressure was really high and it scared me. Losing weight is the ticket for me to maintaining a healthy blood pressure, I hate health scares!!!

    Yoga Meltdown is killer, but you'll love it!! Have a great weekend :)

    Jen@FoodFamilyFitness

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alissa. Glad your BP is better today. You're doing EVERYTHING right!!! Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...