SOCIAL MEDIA

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Miles, Sweets and ER Costs

Hubby and I went for another mile run tonight. It feels so good to be able to run. I love the feeling. I felt myself lagging a little more this time. I watched my time on each lap and noticed that I was 15 seconds slower on every lap. That’s something I need to work on. I gave it all I had on the last lap, trying to get my previous time or at faster. I came in at 13:20. 5 seconds slower than my first run. I was happy with that. It seems pretty consistent at least. My goal is to do a little better each time. I want to add distance to the run, but I feel like I’m really working myself by the end of the mile. Maybe I’ll give it a week and re-evaluate. I feel like I’m hurrying myself, knowing that I might be participating in a 5k on July 4th.

I feel like I’ve been going a little overboard on the sweets lately. Every afternoon around 1:00 I am craving something sweet. I’ve been doing my best to stay away from high calorie sweets and going with small treats. Like today, I had these little sweet tart chewies. I eat just a few. They’re 50 calories for 23 of them. I know I should stay away from sugar completely. Any suggestions for that afternoon craving?

But the problem is, it doesn’t stop there. I came home and ate a cookie. And then after supper I ate a small scoop of ice cream with a tiny bit of sugar free hot fudge and caramel. Embarrassed? You betcha. It wouldn’t be so bad if I had limited myself to one or the other. I certainly don’t need both in one day.

Otherwise, my eating has been on target. We’re so low on groceries right now and that doesn’t help. I like to have Arnold Sandwich thins for my lunches, but those are kind of a luxury at $2.50 a bag when I can buy a whole wheat loaf of bread for 79 cents. But I’m hoping we’ll have a little extra money for groceries this week.

Speaking of extra money, we’ve been working on getting out of debt this year and have been successful. A month ago, we got a bill in the mail for hubby’s emergency room visit back in January for $850. What a shocker! For a 2 hour visit. And get this- today we got a bill in the mail for another $380. I called the company and they said that the physicians don’t bill through the hospital, so there’s a separate bill for them. That’s about 2 weeks of my income right there for 2 hours of their time and a couple bags of fluid, nausea meds and a blood test. We didn’t even see a doctor. How is that ethical?

But- enough of my rant! :)

9 comments :

  1. As a sweets-a-holic who is being reformed I totally understand!! I actually found once I started bringing snacks like banana and strawberries all sliced up it was nice and sweet and filling, so I wasn't as tempted for the cookie later.

    Don't worry about your time on running, just keep getting out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have trouble with sweets...I like my chocolate. Have you checked out the couch to 5k program? You could start several weeks in since you are running some already. I'm a slow runner...but I have some endurance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go on the run! Just listen to your body :) For the snacks I have been munching on the mixed nuts and dried fruits lately. It seems to help a little when I need that sweet and salty mix. Have a great night!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Going 100% organic has been the most rewarding and perfect thing I have done since I started my journey to reducing my weight. What makes it cheaper is that I am no longer buying non-organic foods. It's hard for most people to go organic because they don't want to give up what they have been doing all their lives. If you make the decision to only purchase organic you will notice that your food cost will be less or the same. If you can not go 100% all at once just start with the small items like milk, eggs, breads, etc. It will change your life and the way you view and prepare food. Good luck and have a great weekend. Go Organic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wowsa's i can't believe how much they're charging you for your hospital visit. That totally sucks!

    As far as sugar i try to stay away from it as much as possible because it usually leads me to binges.

    Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job on your run. So motivating. Happy to hear about you getting out debt. It can be done with time and determination. I did it earlier this year. I was able to payoff w 5 credit cards by the end of April. I also closed them all out. It feels good.

    Regarding your hospital bill and the charges. That is normal. I worked for a hospital in the past and I am very familiar with the bills. If you call the hospital and the doctors office they might put you on a payment plan or reduce your bill if you agree to pay it off within 30 days. Hospitals are very good when it comes to working with the patients but you just have to communicate with them. Good luck and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry about thosse hospital bills. It is so incredibly frustrating. I know how you feel about sweets - it's something I still work on. I find if I don't have it in the house I do better because I won't go buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. great job on the run! Its nice to do a workout with a partner:)

    Hope your sweet cravings go away soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice job! Running is such an awesome thing - for me anyway!

    I'm with Staci - stick with mixed nuts or something like that as something to fill the void and curb the hunger (not salted).

    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...