SOCIAL MEDIA

Thursday, June 24, 2010

It’s Official

I sent the registration form in the mail today. I am registered for a 5k on July 3rd. Hubby, my brother and my sister-in-law are all going to run it.

I am pretty nervous about this. I know I can finish but I don’t want to come in last. I think this goes back to gym class in middle school and high school. It’s like running the mile all over again, except it’s 3! I know I can’t run the whole thing and that I’ll have to walk here and there.

I know the most important thing is that I finish and I don’t give up. I need to stop worrying about what I’ll look like and just focus on myself. Hubby says he is going to stick with me the whole time during our first race. I know he could run it pretty fast, but he doesn’t want to leave me behind this first time. Which is really nice of him, but I don’t want to hold him back!

The farthest I have run without stopping is 1 1/2 miles. I want to be able to run 2 miles without stopping before race day. I know I can do it.

Any tips you can give me? Are there others that participate that can’t run the whole thing? This is my very first 5k! How did you do on your first 5k? What was your time? I’d love to hear about your experience and any advice you have for me!

4 comments :

  1. YAY!!
    My best advice is train so that you can enjoy the process (aka DONT BE ME) and then enjoy the process.
    walk if your body needs to.
    stop if your body shouts for it.
    ignore your time (thats my personal fave :) I never look or find out but Im a misfit that way)
    and ENJOY THE ENTIRE PROCESS!

    MizFit

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! So great! Best of luck with the 5k! I'm sure you'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited for you to do your first 5K. I did my first (and only official) last fall after staring the c25K program last June. My advice for you is to take it slow!!! Also concentrate on your breathing. Think of taking big deep belly breaths as much as you can through the run. Good luck! I can't wait to hear how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did my first 5k before I finished c25k. My goal was to finish and not be last. I accomplished that goal! I'm slow...even when I run the entire thing I'm slow. I'm okay with that and advise it for your first one....don't rush the beginning. Find a spot in the middle to back. You may even start walking the first tenth of a mile until all the crowd gets going. Be careful about the water stops...the first one I drank the water and got cramps. The other 5ks I've done, I use the water to pour over my head. There are a lot of amazing people out there...remember to have fun!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...