SOCIAL MEDIA

Saturday, January 21, 2012

The Year of the 10K

I’ve mentioned it a few times, but I want to make it official.

I want to run a 10K.

And 2012 is the year I am going to start working on it. I’ve implemented Jeff Galloway’s 10K training program.

When I set my sights on a running a 5K, way back when, I followed the Couch to 5K training plan. I spent a LONG, LONG time on this plan. I would repeat weeks over and over again until I felt like I had progressed enough to go on to the next week.

It took determination. I literally could not run for 20 seconds when I first started. And now, I can run for at least 45 minutes. Probably longer.

And that’s what I’m setting out to do!

I may be a slow runner, but I AM A RUNNER!

And even if I have to repeat weeks on this program and it takes me a long time to train for this 10K—it doesn’t matter! I’m going to do it anyways.

2012 will be the year that I conquer a 10K…whether I actually finish a 10K or at least train my body to improve beyond the maximum 3.1 miles that I can run. I’ve never run more than that. But I will!

What fitness goals are you setting for yourself in 2012?

12 comments :

  1. You can totally do it. Register for one, knowing u can always walk if you have to (but you won't need to). Watching your running progression has been inspiring. I want that desire to want to do it. But it's just not there..

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can definitely do this! When are you thinking about doing one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, you ARE a runner! I am planning on getting back into fit after baby #3 is born. I'm looking for a 10K at the end of the year. You rock!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was/am in your position. I too followed c25k and feel extremely proud that I can run about an hour. After c25k I followed Bridge to 10k which is the followup to c25k and completed it. My longest run to date is 5 miles but it can be done. Keep moving and YOU CAN DO IT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you can do it!! :)
    My goal this year is 12 1/2 marathons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am planning on another half marathon. There were no 10ks around to train for so I did a half. You can do it! I am restarting and building endurance again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to run a 10k too! I know it is in my future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My goal is to run a 5k, and I'm using the couch25k program. I'm glad to hear that this program was successful for you-I hope it is for me as well! :)

    Good luck on your 10k training!

    Shannon
    http://www.everystepcounts365.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. awesome for you :) I know you can do it and feel great knowing you accomplished it! Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. First off, I love reading about your journey. I am working on the same journey, taking one day at a time. My goals this year are to do 2 5K races. One of them the Susan G Komen race for the cure. My mother in law passed away 8 years ago from cancer and I miss her more than anything. This is something that I want to do for not only myself, but for her and everyone else out there that has been effected by any form of cancer. You are a great motivator and keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are going to dominate the 10K! Who cares how slow you are, you're still doing it!!!!

    Jen@FoodFamilyFitness

    ReplyDelete
  12. You can do it! This is a great goal!!! A 10k is a manageable distance, but definitely enough to make you feel like you've got to train for it! Remember to take it easy and not worry about your time. For the first race, it is absolutely about finishing - on your terms. Good luck!! I know you'll keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...