SOCIAL MEDIA

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Conquering Fears

Cartoon of a Scared Man Hanging on To the End of a Diving Board - Royalty Free Clipart Picture

Part of my Journey to Thin is about going out of my comfort zone and doing things that I may not have felt comfortable doing when I was larger. Getting thinner is only a part of the journey, a big part of it is about gaining confidence and strength.

I am SO afraid of diving boards. I always have been. Not only did I have images of draining the pool when I jumped in, scared of what people might be thinking of me, I was also mentally afraid of that diving board, afraid of making that jump. I have pictures of when I was a little girl taking swimming lessons and I climbed up on the high dive and was too afraid to jump off, so the lifeguard came up and jumped off with me. So this is a fear that I’ve always had, probably since then.

I have been contemplating jumping off of the diving board for a while now. My philosophy is that if I am afraid to do something, then I should do it. So today, I decided I would jump off the diving board at the pool. So I walked over to the diving board (not a high dive, lol), saw the steps and said, “I don’t know if I can do this.” My brother kept encouraging me telling me there was nothing to be afraid of. So I climbed up the steps, and climbed back down. And then I climbed up again, walked to the edge of the diving board, and climbed back down. My legs were literally shaking. I was so scared. Finally, I confidently said to myself, "I can do this!” and I climbed up on that diving board, took a deep breath and just jumped.

And I enjoyed it!

Fear conquered. It made me feel strong.

This is a concept that can be applied in so many different aspects of life. If you’re scared to do something, but want to—muster up that courage and believe in yourself. Your legs might be shaking and it might take a few tries, but doing things that are outside of your comfort zone is always worth it. It’s what life is about, experiencing new things and living life to the fullest.

7 comments :

  1. This is so fantastic! Yes, it's very literal--just jump!--but it's so representative of diving headfirst into the things that we fear. Way to go!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Good for you, face your fears. That's just awesome, enough said!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How great!! Facing your fears & overcoming them is such a great accomplishment!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Atta girl Alissa! You are my new diving board hero!!! Enjoy your
    4th!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay!!!! Great job on conquering your fear!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alissa,

    That is so wonderful that you've conquered your fear! Hopefully you'll make many more jumps!

    I have a strange fear or worry of how I will be skinny. I've never really been thin my entire life, so I know it will be a change and hopefully, a good one!

    I've just started blogging and will be going to my FIRST Weight Watchers meeting Wednesday morning, which I will certainly blog about.

    I hope you will follow and read my blog, as I would love the support!
    http://collegewljourney.blogspot.com/

    Keep up the great work!!
    sSn

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am wondering what you are still thinking about your meetings? I am seriously considering joining a local group even though I have been doing it on my own since Jan. 2011. I reached a stand still couple of months ago in my weight. Won't budge. Not sure if group is the answer, how is it helping you?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...