SOCIAL MEDIA

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Shopping These Days

Shopping is different now that I can fit into regular sized clothes. I no longer HAVE to go to the back corner of the store next to the maternity clothes to look at the plus sized clothing. I can still fit into the smaller sizes of the plus sized clothing, but I have more options now.

Before I started changing my lifestyle and losing weight, I would buy WHATEVER I could find that would fit me. And looking at the clothes I wore, I feel like I dressed like a middle aged woman, probably because that’s all that was available to  me! And I’m embarrassed, quite frankly. A 25 year old should not dress like she’s 50. I tried to dress stylishly, but let’s face it- whoever designs plus sized clothing feels that larger women want to wear baggy tents, bright colors, floral print or they want to show off their cleavage. Honestly ladies, how easy is it for you to find a shirt in the plus size section that isn’t low cut? Not very!

Today, it’s different and I’ve found that when I shop, I rarely buy anything. It’s not a matter of being thankful I found something relatively cute that finally fits me so I have to buy it anymore. I have options. And there are SO many options. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed. There are these stores full of clothes where before I had to shop on two or three racks. It’s different. It’s something I’ve never really experienced before. I’m finding that I will find new stores that I love to shop at. Gone are the days of only being able to shop at Lane Bryant, Fashion Bug, Cato and Wal-Mart.

Losing weight changes so many things. My body is changing. It feels different on me. But it’s still me, just a new me. And as I try to find clothes that fit this new me, I have to ask myself, what is my personal style? When I shop, I can finally ask myself, “Is this me?” and if not, I can put it right back on the rack knowing that I can always find something else. What is my style? It’s about time that my own style and personality showed for real. Gone are the days of desperation shopping. This is just the beginning, and it will take more pounds lost to be able to fit into the clothes at ANY store I shop at, but the options are starting to open up!

This is all new to me. I’m both excited to have more options and overwhelmed at the same time. I’m just glad that when I go in most stores, I can buy more than just the shoes and purses.

11 comments :

  1. Yippee for NSV's. Keep it up, you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way about shopping in the normal section as I like to call it, I am completely overwhelmed after years of shopping plus sized.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay for you!! Now you can get clothes to match those shoes & purses...cause you know, we can't stop buying shoes OR purses!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm so happy for you and the new "world" of clothes that has opened up for you! :) i've never had to shop in the plus-sized section, but i still understand the point you make. even right now, although i am a size 10, that's large for my short 5'2" frame. And I think I'm a size 12 or so on TOP, so i've always tried to dress in order to look as slim as possible, not dress "like me." i, too, wonder what "my style" is...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! It's great to notice that smaller sizes fit you and that you can try on more clothes at new places. Go you, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a BIG NSV!!! Congrats Alissa, all your hard work is truly paying off!!! You continue to inspire me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a huge NSV!!! I'm holding off shopping right now (though I'm desperate- down to one pair of jeans that really fits!).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this post!! I know exactly what you mean about buying just whatever fits. I know this is a great feeling for you :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know what you mean... for the last couple of years, I just bought clothes that fit and were comfortable and would conceal everything. Keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats! Have fun discovering your true style. =)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...