SOCIAL MEDIA

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Dedicated Again

I’ve been having such a hard time lately with my eating. I cannot keep focused and I eat the wrong things far too often. I feel hopeless and I don’t know what to do about it. I wish there was a magic switch I could just turn so that I could be more dedicated! I am jealous of you people who decide one day that you’re going to lose weight and so you stick to it with no slip ups, and lose the weight. How do you do it? I seem to have more slip ups than I have successes. Today they served Casey’s breakfast pizza and muffins at work. Did I have them? Yes I did. I had a small piece of the pizza and was so full from that I just ate a peach for lunch. Then by 2:00 I was hungry so I ate my free muffin. This isn’t good eating, but I know I don’t do that everyday. I’m having a hard time eating the right things. I am craving sugars and carbs. Tomorrows weigh in will be a disappointment for sure. I’m hoping that tomorrow will be a new day and new start. For the first time in a month, I didn’t get up this morning to work out. I have pledged to workout on Saturday though. I got home late last night and 4:30 am didn’t sound too appealing. Plus, my legs were sore from mowing the lawn yesterday. Excuses, excuses. I’m not very positive today. I’m feeling pretty depressed about myself. Why can’t I just STICK TO IT!?

4 comments :

  1. Personally, I think mowing the lawn IS a good workout!

    Here's how I stay focused (and I have a lot to lose still) - I jus think, "this is not an option. I have to do this for my health." So, I kind of approach it like my job. It's not always easy, and I totally slip every once in a while, but then I just refocus and remember that this is about my health and my heart, not just about looking good.

    You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cut yourself some slack and get back to it tomorrow. Just try to make it through one day with good eating. Then try it again. One day at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would recommend the Beck Diet book. There are cognitive behavior strategies that can help you get back on track. We all lose the focus at times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww Mae, I'm sorry to hear you're having such a tough time.

    I haven't been doing this for anywhere near as long as HD or Learning, but my tips for staying on track are:

    1. Spend a few minutes every day thinking about why you want to do this. It can be positive stuff (for me, I want to look beautiful at my brother's wedding next August) or negative stuff (I hate that I feel too fat to do things I want) or a mix of the two. Just take a few minutes--as you commute, as you're trying to fall asleep, whatever, and really *think* about it.

    2. Set a deadline. Spark people has a ton or great articles on how important deadlines are to goals. Add a deadline for when you're going to hit your next reward milestone and work on trying to make it. There's a cheesy slogan somewhere along the lines of "a wish + a deadline = a goal" and it's absolutely true.

    3. Weigh yourself everyday, but keep a moving average to help you see progress. There are a few studies about how weighing every day may improve weight loss. For me, it makes me feel much more accountable: I don't have a week to work off my mistakes. That said, since the scale does have a lot of noise, a moving average will help you see the trends. I like to keep an excel spreadsheet with graphs and other fun things, but I'm a giant nerd, so that may not be as up your alley. :)

    Good luck! You've come so far already, Mae. You know you can do this. You've already done it for 30 pounds! Just keep going: you can and will win this battle.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...