SOCIAL MEDIA

Friday, August 3, 2012

Swimming Dilemma

At swimming lessons last night, I learned the butterfly stroke. That is quite the workout! The instructor told me it was the hardest one and she wasn’t very comfortable doing it. So I felt like I was just flopping around and I came back and she said, “Wow…I have never seen anyone do the butterfly stroke so well on their first try! I’m impressed!” She kept saying that over and over. lol. I guess I was doing it right!! It made me feel good, I don’t ever get compliments on any athletic pursuits.

I have now learned all of the swim strokes! She gave me a lot of tips on swimming for a triathlon. I may have to start training for that. I have A LOT of work to do to increase my endurance while swimming. She also started to teach me how to do flip turns. There is more to learn!

I need to find an indoor pool that is closer to us. I want to keep swimming through the winter months. I want to be able to work up to the point where I really can swim numerous laps without stopping to catch my breath, and being able to do flip turns will make that easier.

So what do you think? Should I continue my swimming lessons with hubby, where the trainer can teach me more swim tips for a triathlon someday, or should I take a workout class while hubby has his swim lessons?

12 comments :

  1. I think you should stick with swimming if you are enjoying it so much and get a good workout!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out the 'total immersion' swimming website. They have some great videos, DVDs and books. They give you drills to do in the pool on your own and it really helped improve my stroke and endurance. It's great for triathlon training!
    -Jessica
    http://healthyfor100.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great that you have learned all the swimming strokes! Maybe one day I will learn them too, I can only swim free style. If I were you, I would stick with swimming, master the strokes and build up endurance. I would choose swimming any day over a workout!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do what you like and are having fun with! Swim!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once you're comfortable with all the strokes (which btw butterfly is my favorite and so hard, so yay for rocking it!), then I'd continue on your own. But learn the ins and outs of flip turns, because it saves you so much time and energy when you're swimming that will let you rock out a few more laps when you're exercising!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd keep swimming since it is convenient right now. It seems to me that swimming is one of those exercises that takes some logistics to get it worked out (find the right place, the right price, the right coach). Since you've got it going I would just continue with it. You can always work on technique.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with Cassie on this one. Do what you like and are having the most fun with. Do the other thing in a few months. Win-win!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like swimming is something you enjoy and it sounds like it is something you are proud of. It doesn't hurt that it is something you and hubby can do "together" even if you are on different levels. In the end you should do what makes you feel strong and happy but it sounds like swimming could be that for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sure seems like you're loving the swimming Alissa!! Butterfly stroke is BRUTAL, so impressed you learned it! Have a happy Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really can swim numerous laps without stopping to catch breath, and being able to do flip turns will make that easier.
    doctor excuse

    ReplyDelete
  11. Deduction was doing it right!! It completed me feel good don’t ever get good wishes on any athletic pursuits..


    tantric massage London

    ReplyDelete
  12. In the post has been discussed about the thinking and understand so that can be used also.




    LÃ¥n Penge nu

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...