SOCIAL MEDIA

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Health and Nutrition in Schools

It’s weird not to be going back to school this year. I applied for the masters program for this fall, but in the mean time I got a part time job as a reporter and my other job is starting to look like I’ll be able to write there too! So it’s all falling into place and no need to go back to school at this time in my life…not saying that I never will though! It may be something I want to do at a later date.

As stressful as it was sometimes, I enjoyed being a student. I LOVE learning about new things. It’s fascinating to me, which is probably why I like to read, too! If only I had more time for it…I need to make time for it. I read most days on my lunch breaks and that’s about it.

I have read quite a few books on weight loss and health, some of them helpful and others not so much. But I think that one of the most important parts of this journey is obtaining the knowledge to help you in the future.

Schools need to teach more about healthy living. It is an essential skill. I remember taking a home economics class in middle school and our cooking lesson involved opening a can of fruit and putting it in a pan. That’s not healthy living. Kids should be taught how to use fresh fruits and veggies to cook nutritious meals.

I think a class on health, nutrition and cooking could last at least a quarter or a semester. I have learned so much on my own that I was never taught. I don’t think I really understood what I was doing to myself when I would stuff my face with junk food. No clue whatsoever.

Is it a parent’s responsibility to teach their children or should children be taught at school? I think the majority of adults in the U.S. don’t have a clue about nutrition! I still have a lot to learn! I think children should be taught these things in school and hopefully, someday, they will be practiced at home in the majority of households, not just the minority.

Tell me what you think.

12 comments :

  1. School and our cookery lesson involved opening a can of fruit and putting it in a pan. That’s not healthy living. Kids should be taught how to use fresh fruits and veggies to cook nutritious meals.




    Forbrukslån

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are lots of things that can be taught in schools, but if they aren't supported at home, it's meaningless. I think it's the parents responsibility to instill good habits & teach nutrition as well as life skills. We pawn too much as the responsibility of other institutions when in fact alot of learning should start at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think there should be a nutrition class in school, definitely. I never knew anything about nutrition and weight and what was healthy or not, until I was already overweight and wanted to lose it. Then I had to learn it all on my own, with fitness magazines, weight loss books, etc.

    It would have been a lot easier if fitness and nutrition had been taught in school and made a priority, including in the lunch room, with more option than pizza and chicken nuggets. And like you said, a home ec class that taught how to cook healthy would be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read that even future doctors in school are taught very little about nutrition and thus are ill equipped to counsel their patients on eating better. Perhaps that is improving. I hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a HUGE subject for me, from being a health education student in college to teaching health education on schools, I think it's both. I think it's about 90% what we model at home and teach at home, but we MUST practice what we preach to our children when it comes to diet/exercise. BUT the schools also play a part. Introducing children to nutritious foods and associating exercise with happiness...that fitness should be FUN! Huge obstacles for parents and children, but I know when I taught jr. high health in a low socioeconomic area, the students thought fruit snacks counted as "real fruit"...what a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is our job as parents to teach our children about fitness and nutrition, but that needs to carry over to school. They should make it a part of health class and maybe as homework the kids should have to pick a new fruit or veg and help mom or dad prepare it for the family. And school lunches really need to be more nutritous. I plan on packing my kids' lunches 4 days out of the 5 and letting them buy just one day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it should be taught in schools as well, because unfortunately many parents don't take on the responsibility to do so. I know my mom didn't! Not that I blame her for my weight gain, but I never really learned the value of real foods (or how to cook them for that matter).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Give the healthy instruction for the school boys and all of them because when we send our kids school then we have to keep lunch box so healthy and good pure protein also we can be maintain good health.


    insemination

    ReplyDelete
  9. When we want to know how to take nutrition for school boys and girls also because in this give instruction and published the diet charts should be check it and follow it .



    ReplyDelete
  10. They have define health and nutrition in school so that we can able to understand different type health how to maintain. It may be useful all of them.


    pearl district condos for sale

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have also learned when I was in high school to eat a low-fat diet, if you wanted to lose weight. Eating a healthy breakfast would avoid you to have a stomach spasm. Exercise and diet is always giving us a good mood dealing with everyday stress. Nutrition update at EssayMama.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...