SOCIAL MEDIA

Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Visiting Jane

When baby girl and I visited my parents last week we had quite a bit of fun. When my brothers, sister & families arrived, my parents treated us to a visit to the Burpee Museum of Natural History. We have become such a big family that we got the group discount!

It’s hard to believe that I grew up in Rockford, IL but never went to this museum, not even on a field trip! Burpee Museum is most known for its Jane display. Jane is “the world’s most complete and best preserved juvenile T. rex”.

20150717_185658328_iOS[1]

It’s pretty incredible that these creatures once roamed the earth!

20150717_190124762_iOS[1]

I would have loved to have spent more time reading the information, but hubby and I kept pretty busy chasing around the one year old. She had so much fun exploring a new place and wasn’t afraid of the giant creatures or dinosaur noises.

20150717_190406252_iOS[1]

We saw the Savage Ancient Sea: Dinosaurs of the Sea exhibit, which is a traveling exhibit.

20150717_190914748_iOS[1]

Here is my SIL, myself, sister, and mom.

20150720_152741000_iOS

The kids had a fun time “digging for dinosaur bones”. The one year old played in the area too but she is always moving and hard to get a picture of.

20150717_190849836_iOS[1]

I told the kids to pose like they were about to get eaten by this monster, but only one obliged. lol

20150717_192327472_iOS[1]

This little guy seemed to enjoy the experience and having grandpa answer questions.20150717_190339522_iOS[1]

I think what I found most fascinating was the GeoScience display. I’ve always been intrigued by rocks, ever since I was a child. I had never seen fluorescents before—pretty cool! And of course I loved looking at the gems.

There was this neat display that showed what a mine looks like underground. It made me anxious just to look at it. I can’t imagine how miners go down that far into the earth! Eek!

Sadly, I didn’t get pictures of either.

Eventually we had to put the little one in the stroller to keep her under control. She was tired by that time so she was content. Here we are by the mammoth.

 20150717_200219588_iOS[2]

We would love to visit again when the little one is older. It was a great escape from the torturous heat outside!

I recommend visiting if you’re ever in the area!

6 comments :

  1. Looks fun...especially right now since dinosaurs seem to be pretty popular with the kiddos after Jurassic Park and all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I love travel blogs that make me feel like I was there. Glad you enjoyed your family and saw something new.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How awesome! :) Love all of the pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! Looks like everyone had a great time :) I enjoy taking the kids to museums and things, but I'm always torn because I also actually want to read stuff! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a super cool place! Funny how we tend to miss out on cool stuff in our own area! Love all the family pics!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...