SOCIAL MEDIA

Monday, July 6, 2015

Walking a 5K Race & Inspired

We signed up for our annual 4th of July 5K towards the last minute. Last year, we signed up but weren’t able to make it. I honestly wasn’t sure if I was ready to participate in a 5K yet, but starting the Couch to 5K inspired me to sign up. Hubby has been wanting to run one by himself but always sticks with me, so I asked my dad if he wanted to walk with me this year and he agreed.

In the past, I have always done a walk/run or just run—but I have to say that I enjoyed walking the 5K probably more than I ever enjoyed running. It’s fun to try to get a new PR, but I had more fun just walking it this year.

IMG_2961

This was my dad’s first 5K race and my first in a long time! I was worried that I wasn’t going to be able to make it, but once we got started that worry faded away. My dad kept up the pace and I had to keep up with him! I tend to slow down as I go, so it was good that he kept up the pace. I enjoyed our conversation!

When we neared the finish line, my dad said we were going to finish arm and arm at the same time, so that’s what we did! We finished in 1 hour and 23 seconds. It didn’t matter that they had already taken down the finish line cones and that they were already announcing the winners. It wasn’t about winning.

IMG_2962

Hubby finished in 33 minutes by doing a run/walk—I’m proud of him since he hasn’t run for a long time!

This was the first race where I truly felt that it didn’t matter how slow I was—the important thing was that I was out there and being active. The only one that I need to compete with is myself and it doesn’t matter that almost everyone else finished way before we did.

Lots of people on the race route encouraged us and told us we were doing way better than they were since they were just sitting in their lawn chairs and watching. I think it’s important for those of us who are overweight to just show up. I hope that maybe someone, who was just watching and thinking they could never do it, was inspired.

I was certainly inspired by the man who came in last (the only person who was after my dad and me). He was probably 500 lbs. and he walked by himself until the very end when I noticed a few kids went back and walked part of the way with him to help him finish.

He showed up and didn’t care what other people might think about him, or even if he did worry about it he didn’t let it stop him. I could tell that he was proud of himself for finishing. The look on his face told it all. It was so motivating to see him out there giving it his best. He proved that if you set your mind to something you can achieve anything.

Fitness is for everyone and it’s not all about competition—it’s about showing up and finishing.

7 comments :

  1. Love this post! Walking is great. Spending time with family is great. Walking with family? The best. :) Congrats on your 5K finish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! Congrats on finishing the 5k! I've been "meaning" to sign up for a 5k for a while now, but I keep putting it off; I'm pretty sure it's because deep down, I worry that I'm too slow or something crazy like that. I just need to suck it up and do it.

    You and your dad have the same smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have walked in one 5K ever, and I still remember how elated I was about it!!! Well, until the huge blisters came. Lol Congrats to you and your dad. And that is truly awesome about the last-place finisher. I know it had to take courage to do that because people can be so judgmental. So happy for him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true, so true....just showing up and finishing is the prize in and of itself. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just showing up....That is so true! I always wanted to do a 5K, but I am to self conscious and I didn't want to be the odd man out just walking it. Thanks for the inspiration!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just showing up....That is so true! I always wanted to do a 5K, but I am to self conscious and I didn't want to be the odd man out just walking it. Thanks for the inspiration!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way to go, Alissa. I'M PROUD OF YOU!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...