SOCIAL MEDIA

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

A Glorious Day Off and an Obesity Rant

Since today was my day off and I no longer have school- I got to sleep in! I only slept until 6:00, but that could be because Hubby and I went to bed at 8:30 last night like old people. So I got a really good night’s sleep!

For breakfast this morning I had a slice of light wheat bread, with a tiny bit of peanut butter and a sliced banana along with 1 cup of 1% milk for 5 points.

122110 001

Hubby stopped home for a quick surprise visit on his way to his jobsite- that was a nice surprise!

I spent some time catching up on blogs and then I made myself get on the treadmill. For me, I always set out to at least run 1 mile straight, so 1.5 miles total with warm up and cool down. And then once I get on, I gauge how I feel. Today, I was feeling it. I did a total of 3.25 miles. That’s 1/4 mile walk, 2.85 mile run, and .15 mile walk. It felt AMAZING! It took me 51:36 and I burned 405 calories. A good way to start the day!

I had an appointment to go pick up my coat that I had altered. On the way there, I snacked on two Cuties Clementines and of course I bring my water everywhere I go!

122110 002

I was very happy with how my coat turned out! This woman is very talented at what she does!

After that, I headed to the grocery store to pick up just a few things this week. Here’s what I got:

122110 003

Not a lot because we won’t be home for a few days!

I stopped at Subway and picked up a 6” Turkey and Ham sub for lunch. I brought it home and was excited to try the Food Should Taste Good Lime chips. This was a total of 11 points. Subway was exceptional today. The bread was fresh and the lettuce crisp! Yum!

122110 004

For dessert, I had 1/2 cup of light vanilla yogurt with blueberries, blackberries and a sliced banana for 1 point.

122110 005

After that, I got some things done around the house and then headed out to go pick up a prescription at Target. On my way home, I picked up a Tall Nonfat Vanilla Latte from Starbucks for 2 points.

122110 007

It was such a pretty day out today. Temps in the 30’s- I didn’t even need a coat! It’s funny how this would have seemed FRIGID two months ago! You get used to it, I guess! This picture doesn’t do it justice, but the sky was a baby blue and the rest of the sky seemed to blend into the snow covered ground.

122110 006

While I was at Target, I decided I needed to do at least SOME baking this Holiday season, so I got the ingredients to make Peanut Butter Kiss cookies. I changed up a recipe to make it lower calorie and they were SO oily! I didn’t know how they would turn out, but they turned out just fine!

122110 009

After that, I got all of the presents wrapped and ready to go!

I was disgusted by someone’s status and the comments on Facebook today. This person was stating the statistics about how many obese children there are in America and wanted to know where they were because she never saw them. Innocent enough. The comments on her status were rude, I thought. Things such as, go to Wal-Mart and you’ll see obese children (because obviously obese people only shop at Wal-Mart), or go to the swimming pool this summer, at which this person responded, “one family from the pool last summer "sticks out" in particularly. but at least they were there, making an effort!” I find these types of comments offensive and rude. Like all obese people do is sit around and eat, and going to the pool, a normal summer activity, would be considered “making an effort” for obese people. Childhood obesity is no laughing matter. Neither is adult obesity. Most people who are obese lead normal lives and do not sit in front of the TV and snack on potato chips and little Debbie’s all day. They are simply STUCK and do not have the education and support needed. Obesity affects the rich as well as the poor. There is such a misconception out there. Obesity is an illness. I feel like overweight people are stereotyped in so many ways- I KNOW this is true because so many people have done it to me in the past. I am overweight therefore I MUST be lazy, right? WRONG. I don’t think this type of thinking will ever change, but we can try to change the world one person at a time, starting with you and me. Have compassion for others. See past the physical manifestations of the illness and look for the causes or consider the fact that this person might be hurting deeply on the inside. These issues are much deeper than what you and I can see. We all have our struggles and imperfections, and some of ours just show more than others. Please, have compassion for people- and I know that you all do because most of you have been there.

Rant Over. Winking smile

For supper, I made Parmesan Crusted Tilapia (this is what I made for hubby’s birthday last week and we had leftovers of everything to make more!) and carrots for 5 points. You can see the snowman on the plate peeking through. My sister gave me these plates a few years ago and I love them!

122110 018

I also had a beautiful salad made of lettuce, alfalfa sprouts, tomato, cauliflower and 1 Tbs. Feta Cheese- topped with light ranch dressing for 2 points.

122110 015

For dessert, I had 2 Peanut Butter Kiss cookies. Can you believe I waited until dessert to eat these!? I’m so proud of myself! This was 5 points. I’m sorry for the errrr awkward picture. Winking smile

122110 019

I really enjoyed my day off today! I love being able to do what I want to do all day long- who doesn’t!? Smile 

Only a couple more days left of work!!

Tomorrow is my WI day and I’m REALLY hoping for the best. I’m feeling positive- I hope I’m right!

Also, don’t forget to the enter the Cuties Clementines giveaway!!

11 comments :

  1. I can honestly say that I am one of those ppl that never go to the public pool for fear that someone who knew me way back when I used to be skinny(even though I didn't think I was at the time) might see me and think to theirself "she's gained weight". These same ppl probably have no idea that in 5 years I have lost both grandparents to old age, one brother to a massive heart attack (due to obesity), one brother from suicide, and a very good friend to suicide. They probably don't know that I was majorly depressed for 3 years and during that time I discovered that I am an emotional eater, and gained about 90 pounds. They would just look at me and think wow she used to be skinny or what happened to her? The reason I know this is because I have seen ppl at Food Lion or (God forbid) Wal-mart and they have actually commented to me (or close enough for me to hear) so there is no way I could expose myself at a pool if I can't even go to the store without hearing something. I don't even remember where I was going with this...except to say people should never comment about something that they have no idea about. It is so hurtful. (and there is always more to the story than what the eye can see)Anyway glad you had a good day off :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always make me want Subway! ;)

    Those chips your bought... Food Should Taste Good... are they really good? Worth buying? I see them at Trader Joe's sometimes, but have never thought to pick up a bag?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, you are CRAZY! It's been in the FIFTIES here and we've bundled up with coats, sweaters, and scarves! I'm a Southern girl and my hubby is a Californian, so I guess that explains that :)

    Don't even get me started on peoples' views on obesity, among other issues. People need to GET OVER THEMSELVES. ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to get some fun plates!! no way those cookies would last in my house!! you are a brave gal!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work on the treadmill today! I wish I had one at home!

    People are just ignorant.....

    I make similar cookies except I use peanut butter cups - to help keep the shape I cook them in mini muffin tins!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you are spot-on in your rant. One thing I'd like to point out is that education about healthy habits doesn't seem to be enough. Education is not the answer, though it is certainly a component. There are too many obese medical professionals to prove it.

    You didn't necessarily say education is the answer, it's just something I notice people tend to lean on a lot to fix the obesity epidemic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We aren't just lazy, we're stupid too.. at least that's been my experience.

    I'm completely aware, always have been, that what I'm putting in my mouth and the lack of exercise t balance it, are awful for me. I may not have known the specific health issues I could develop, but I knew the general direction I was heading. Didn't stop me, because obesity does not BEGIN because we are lazy, or stupid, or whatever. At least for me personally, it's always been an emotional/psychological issue- the weight is just a side effect.

    People that have never battled this will probably never understand that though. Kind of like how men will never fully understand PMS (and why they're lucky to be alive the next week sometimes!). Even if they don't get it though, compassion is an easy thing to practice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to disagree with you. I do not believe obesity is an illness. I believe obesity leads to many illnesses, yes. But obesity itself is the symptom. I'm sure you've heard the saying "treat the cause not the symptom".

    Great job on the treadmill today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on your stellar workout, and YAY for the coat!! (and rant away!!!)
    ps: thanks for the get well hugs on my site today. Means alot...and I'm sure today will be a better day. Have a good one yourself!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG, you´re doing soo great with the running. :) Really wish I had a treadmill right now, it has been pouring rain for 4 days straight here. ugh. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Obesity becomes a biggest issue in today's time. People who have never fought this will probably never understand that if. Education is not the answer, although it is certainly a component. There are too fat health professionals to prove it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...