SOCIAL MEDIA

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Have your Cake and Eat it too

If I could give one piece of advice to someone trying to lose weight and live a healthy lifestyle, it would be everything in moderation.

Hopefully, you can see from reading my blog that I try to practice moderation. I do not believe in deprivation because I feel that in so doing, one not only forms an unhealthy relationship with food, but also sets oneself up for failure.

I know that many of you will probably disagree with me here but let me explain why I feel this way. In life we are going to attend birthday parties, weddings, and other social functions where food is just part of it. It’s just the way it is. Food is a part of any culture. There is nothing wrong with food itself, it’s overindulging that is the issue.

I do not feel that there is anything wrong with having a piece of birthday cake at your birthday party or at a friend/relative’s birthday party. Is it ok to ask for a smaller piece? Absolutely. That doesn’t mean you eat a piece of cake whether you want it or not- it means that if you would love to have a piece of cake, it’s ok to eat a piece of cake. You are not going to ruin your diet over one piece of cake. You are not a failure for doing so. It simply means that you are living life, and food is a part of it.

Now if you keep that birthday cake in the house and you eat 3 pieces of it every day for the next week until it’s gone- now that’s a problem. The key is moderation.

What I have found is that if I try to deny myself certain foods- that it makes me want them all the more and when I do finally eat the said food, I will overindulge. Deprivation is setting yourself up for failure because at some point- you are going to eat that food that you have deprived yourself of. How many times have you said to yourself, “I’m going to this wedding, but I’m not eating any cake,” only to find yourself eating a piece of cake and feeling guilty about it. Not only do you feel guilty about it, but you feel like since you “cheated” you might as well just eat a cheeseburger and fries the next day. Cheating is no longer in my vocabulary. I do not ever cheat on living healthfully. I feel that living healthfully includes enjoying all kinds of foods. Enjoy the little moments that life brings and practice moderation in all things.

I think it’s safe to say that all of us are trying to lose weight to gain a better life for ourselves. Social events are part of life. All I’m saying is don’t stress out so much about those events that are meant to bring joy to our lives by worrying about how many calories are in the piece of cake (or whatever food). Practice moderation. That doesn’t mean that you will always be perfect- but if you work on it, if you practice it- you will learn to master moderation and I truly believe that life will be more satisfying in the long run.

That being said, eating healthfully the majority of the time is of utmost importance. Eating your fruits, veggies, healthy proteins, and all things good for your body on a daily basis consistently is the key. We all know that exercise has both physical and mental benefits. It’s also important to maintain a healthy mental attitude and outlook on life, even if it’s just finding one thing a day that we can be thankful for. There are so many aspects to healthy living and if we are consistent in practicing moderation and living healthfully in all things everyday- we can have our cake and eat it too. Without guilt and shame.

Like I mentioned, I know that not everyone is going to agree with this post. But it is my opinion and I firmly believe in what I wrote. I’d love to hear what you have to say, too!

22 comments :

  1. I know "all things in moderation" is one of those topics that can get panties in a wad sometimes, but I completely agree with you. Maybe it's because I started on WW, but I don't want to stop eating my absolute favorites until I get to goal. Learning self-control and how to enjoy your favorites in moderation along the way is the only way some of us will learn how to maintain once we get there. It's just my opinion, but I feel like cutting it all out UNTIL goal is setting myself up to gain it back. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your post. I think it's so much better to practice moderation. When you start depriving yourself of food you like you are setting yourself up for failure. If you eat that food that is often limits then you will be left to feel remorseful, which in the end can lead to failure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with this. This is my entire philosophy. It may be why it takes me so long to lose weight, but I don't feel deprived doing it. I hope to work the balance out someday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you've hit the nail on the head. Deprivation is a slippery path for numerous reasons. Moderation is key, like you said. Good post! Cheers, Rick

    ReplyDelete
  5. I walk a fine line, there are some things I can have but I know others will put me on that slippery slope and I am liable to fall right back into my old patterns. So for me there are some foods I just do not eat!! Now cake, I would make a super yummy diet soda cake with Fat free cool whip frosting or go buy a Weight Watcher cake, or have a Vitatop, so I use substitutions a lot!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this post! I struggle with "cheating", and know that I can't stay successful long-term if I swear off my favorites. Moderation is the perfect solution.

    I didn't become overweight because I enjoyed Christmas Dinner--more so because I ate like it was Christmas every day :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very insightful post. I totally endorse what you've said. I believe in moderation and not depriving yourself of anything. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree whole heartly!! At a recent social event I too asked for a small piece of dessert - though at first my hostess was a little offended since she made the dessert when I explained my reason she became a bit more understanding.
    Thanks for the blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was a great post. I completely agree with moderation. I think a big part of why I've been able to lose 60 pounds is because I have never given up the things I love to eat. A little goes a long way for me now. I believe that we are learning to eat for the rest of our lives. Giving up what I want to eat is not a way to live. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally agree with you. Food is such a complicated topic. We HAVE to have it to survive. But it also has become such an intricate part of our culture. I think that moderation helps to regulate your relationship with food.

    My Grandma used to compare chocolate to men....
    "Chocolate like men is a wonderful thing, it comes in all different flavors and colors." "If you have too much of one man, it makes you unhappy and fat. The same with chocolate."

    My Grandma also had 3 husbands but we won't get into that :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree 100%, for me cutting out foods is the dangerous part. Moderation is so important in everything from activity to eating - too much or too little can be a problem!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post! You have an awesome point!!! THe best way to control moderation is the buy only one or two treats each week at the store. That way, you can have what you like, but just in moderation. Nice post, A!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post!! I'm a firm believer in moderation not deprivation!!! Have a great rest of the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I chose the WW program for this reason...I didn't want to feel anything was off limit ~ I could eat what I wanted as long as I stayed within my points.

    I have come a long way since then...and still eat chocolate and drink a glass of wine, have bread, etc etc...
    But now its only ONE treat a day....whereas before I had a few and YES I lost all my weight that way....but with my MS its become more about Health that Losing Weight for me.

    You doing so well and I tell everyone who starts this journey not to cut out anything they love

    ReplyDelete
  15. "What I have found is that if I try to deny myself certain foods- that it makes me want them all the more and when I do finally eat the said food, I will overindulge!"

    I couldn't agree more! This is something that I really need to work on, because this is my biggest problem and why I often fail when I attempt to lose weight. Loved this post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I do agree with you that all things should be enjoyed in moderation. Because if we cut everything out that is unhealthy and bad, then we will just crave it and indulge in it more than if we allow ourselves to splurge every once in a while!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I totally agree with you, and I think that´s what different this time, what´s helping me to be successful. I believe you to because you have all that success to back it up, you´re doing so good and your food always looks delicious and balanced.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree with this. I have found that knowing that something is not off limits, I actually am more likely to not have it. Kind of a reverse psychology.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Completely agree with you ... my sister and I are both doing Weight Watchers and after a disappointing trip to the scale this week for her, she said she was going to cut ALL carbs out of her diet. I told her I didn't want to do that - that it was unrealistic to me. This is a LIFESTYLE change, not a diet, and I felt it was unrealistic for me to never eat a carb again. For her - it may work and be just what she needs. For me, it's portion control and making smart choices. Really loved this post. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I know that there are others who would disagree but I'm not one of them. Like Lori, I also find that if I tell myself that something is off limits that I obsess a little too much over it. Moderation is key for me. If I can't learn moderation now I won't be able to do it when I finally lose the weight. Ya know? Might as learn how to have a healthy relationship with food right now.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You've got a very even keel approach to weight loss and that's why you've been successful and why you will continue to be successful. This is a very difficult concept for the perfectionist in me. And I really believe it's why I haven't been successful in sustaining weight loss. You can't maintain anything too radical for too long.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sometimes complete avoidance is the only coping skill people have access to! What a slippery slope!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...