SOCIAL MEDIA

Monday, February 16, 2015

I found the courage

Thank you to those of you who have reached out to me with similar experiences or just expressed care and concern for how I’ve been feeling. I really appreciate that and it helps me realize that I’m not alone in this and that how I feel isn’t “normal”, but I’m not the only one who has ever felt this way before.

Since I have talked about some of the very minor details of how I’m feeling on the blog now, I thought I should update you all and let you know that I finally found the courage to make an appointment with the doctor. I go back in forth in my head all the time about canceling the appointment—but my “issues/struggles” have gotten to the point where I absolutely know I cannot live like this and need help and so that helps me stay strong in what feels like absolute weakness.

I don’t know why I didn’t see it before and I wish so badly that I had gotten help before now. It has only progressively gotten worse. And I hope and pray that there is help for me. Worry, worry, worry.

On Friday, I decided to go to Kohl’s with baby and, while I survived, by the time I got home I was about undone. Baby was perfectly behaved and happy, except for crying the entire way home (which I think would be hard for anyone). But it’s these little things, like going out in public alone, that are just too much for me.

There are so many tears—but it has become a good outlet for my feelings. It’s not that I’m sad. It’s more overwhelming anxiety. But this is not normal.

But over the weekend, I felt like myself for a brief moment. I felt that joy in my heart. I was smiling. I was singing. I felt happy. And that made me realize how much I’ve missed just feeling like myself.

It’s when I have those moments that I think hey, maybe I’m ok. But fast forward to the middle of the night and I can’t turn my mind off. I worry and worry about things past, present and future. I wake up feeling nervous and jittery simply in anticipation about leaving the house again.

I just can’t live like that. There’s so much pressure. It feels like this huge weight on my chest. Everything feels heavy. I keep taking deep breaths. My heart seems to race. My shoulders, neck, and arms feel so tense.

And then the littlest things will be my undoing. My heart breaks easier. I become irritated and angry very quickly. All of these emotions—they’re so heavy. And this is just a part of it, I don’t really feel like divulging every little detail about how I feel yet.

It has been good now that I can acknowledge there’s something wrong. I think it has been good for both me and hubby because it’s been a realization that I haven’t just become this horrible person and wife—something is wrong, something is not right. And then we think about a million things that have happened in the past 9 1/2 months and it all becomes clear and it all starts to make sense. How is it that we didn’t realize this before now? We thought we were educated.

And now, even when I feel it’s trivial, if hubby asks what’s wrong—I tell him. Like Sunday morning, he could tell I was a bit irritated or something was wrong and he asked. At first I sharply said, “nothing” and when he left the room, I took a moment to think about what was really wrong.

And then I realized it, I was feeling really nervous about leaving the house. And so I told him that. And he gave me a hug—a much better alternative than my feeling escalating and my taking it out on him instead.

I feel like I’ve taken 1,000 steps by even admitting that something isn’t right. Now it’s just anticipation of the appointment coming up and hopefully figuring out the “why” and receiving a diagnosis and plan. I hope there’s hope—if that makes sense.

8 comments :

  1. Is crazy how our minds decide to run off in the middle of the night and remind us of everything and anything we should be ashamed of. One technique I use when this happens and which helps is to just block off all thinking and try to gear my mind elsewhere. Or, I imagine that I am painting my brain with a huge brush of white out and delete all negative thoughts. I know that may sound weird, but it helps. I am proud of you for making an appointment and speaking to a professional. I think thats a great first step. Good luck. And remember this: "Everything will be okay at the end. If its not okay then, is not the end".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you've made an appointment. And I definitely think it's not that you've changed into some horrible person! I wish I would've paid attention to how different I became after baby #1 instead of just being this angry person, snippy wife, and sarcastic mother. :( I could've gotten help a long time ago. Yes, there's definitely help! And don't be discouraged if they try you on one med that seems to either not help or make things worse. I started with Prozac but hated the side effects. So then I took Wellbutrin along with the Prozac, which took away the bad side effects. Then I was able to wean down to only Wellbutrin with Prozac only at PMS time (helps SO much). However, my mother-in-law couldn't tolerate Wellbutrin at all. It gave her panic attacks! So there IS help, even if you don't find it the first try. And it sounds like the new "be honest about it all" is already one of those helps. :) I tell my husband all the time that having babies just does SOMETHING to your hormones, and it's crazy how it can affect you! (((hugs))) So glad you have an appointment made! Stay strong. You're going to be YOU again soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry girl. I think I need to go to the doctor too!!! I cannot focus on anything and have extreme anxiety. I hope you get the help you need!!! We are here for you and I love that you told your hubby what was really wrong That is a big step in the right direction !

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is hope, there is help, and you are not the first woman in the world to have felt this way. Keep at it until you find the help you need, even if its multiple doctor visits or multiple doctors. It's too important. And don't feel like you HAVE to share the details. take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you made the appointment. (But, if you are at all like I was .... I wanted the appointment to be NOW and then the "help" to start immediately) I still had up and down days and still do....even on my S.A.D. medication....the gloomy days suck and cold no fun...thank goodness winter doesn't last for ever and your feelings won't either.

    Keep talking to your hubby~ the more I share with mine the more he understands me....its been great.

    Hang in there...you are not alone...we are pulling for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you! It will be worth it in the end. I understand what you mean about not normal but it's still nice to know other people have had similar struggles. Makes you feel not so alone,

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry you are going through this. I think a huge percentage of mom's do. You've realized it and are doing something to help. Don't feel alone. Don't feel nervous going into the Dr. They are there to help and just remember what a strong woman you are to ask for help. Hormones are a terrible thing :) Hugs to you and good luck <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good job reaching out and trying to get some answers for your anxiety. I am praying for you to feel like yourself again.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...