SOCIAL MEDIA

Sunday, June 10, 2012

What I’ve Learned from Not Losing

Maintaining, and not losing, has taught me a few things.

  1. I’ve been living a healthy lifestyle since 2008. No going back. No major slip ups. I’ve maintained about an 80 lb. lost for quite some time now. That means I’ve developed some healthy habits.
  2. The fact that I’m not losing is not going to be rectified by following any certain plan or exercising religiously. I will start losing again when I create the right balance in my MIND. It’s my choice. It’s totally mental. No matter what plan I follow, it’s not going to work if I don’t believe I can do it or if I don’t want it badly enough. Even if it does work, it won’t last or it won’t work for long. A diet plan is not the answer. A purpose is.
  3. Going through a rough patch, no matter HOW long it lasts, teaches you about yourself. The fact that I haven’t given up means something. It means this battle is worth the fight. It means that I am committed to it, but just struggling.
  4. It has taught me that I am MORE than my weight loss story. I’ve been changing myself over these past four years. I’m still trying to figure out who I am. Deep down, I thought I was defined by my weight loss. I’m so much more than that. And thanks to Crys for making me realize that. I’m still trying to come to grips with this one. It seems so simple. But it’s so much more complex than it seems.
  5. That I can’t depend on posting pictures of my food online to keep me on track. I’m not as strict when I don’t post my pictures online. How messed up is that? I have to learn to be accountable to myself. Nobody else matters. Just me. I AM WORTH IT. I have to want to eat correctly FOR ME. I’m still working on this one.
  6. That the hardest battles are probably the ones most worth fighting for. And this battle has been tough. And I’m still fighting.
  7. I can be happy along the journey. I don’t have to wait until I reach my goal. I can learn to love myself and appreciate my body for where it is RIGHT NOW.
  8. That pretty is not defined by your size. It’s who you are inside that defines that. Everyone worth pleasing will find that more beautiful than a pretty face and thin, toned body.
  9. That just because it’s ok to accept yourself the way you are, doesn’t mean you shouldn’t strive to set a goal so that you can become even happier with yourself and who you are.
  10. That giving up is not an option.

7 comments :

  1. You are definitely an inspiration to many. Just this blog post and the last proves you are strong and know that you are worth it! Many people do not get to that point.
    Keep up the good work and do not be too hard on yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, Alissa! In honor of what we're learning, I think I'm going to do a cool giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alissa, I can't tell you how much of an inspiration you are. Your honesty, wonderful writing style, sense of fun and beauty inside and out is why I've been reading for a while, and will continue to read, cheering you on all the way. I have NO doubt that you'll reach all your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you noticed these about yourself & your journey :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good self diagnosis ;). It's good to do that from time to time. You'll reach your goals but don't let your dreams and fun pass you by in the mean time. You can't turn back time. I think you're doing great and I'm super impressed with how far you've come.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All so very true!! Maintaining an 80lbs loss is huge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can relate to many of your points! Thanks for good reminders :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...