SOCIAL MEDIA

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Cookies

I have a major problem with cookies.

I cannot have them in the house or I will eat them. And not just one of them, I will eat many of them. I wouldn’t go as far as saying I eat all of them, because I never let it go that far.

I typically don’t bake anymore because of this. If I do, I eat them once and send the rest to work with hubby to share with the guys. I also make about a dozen and freeze the rest of the cookie dough. This seems to work out pretty well.

But yesterday, I made cookies to bring to a dinner at a friend’s house and ended up eating cookie dough while baking them, a couple cookies after baking them and then snacking on way too many after that. And when I calculated the calories—they were sky high! So that ruined my calorie count for the week!

I just cannot control myself around cookie dough or cookies. They’re like Nutella, which I no longer allow in the house. It’s like cocaine to me. Addictive!

What made me want to start eating the cookies? The simple answer is that they taste good. And I like chocolate. I’m sure there’s more to it, being someone who struggles with emotional eating. I think I’ve gotten out of touch with understanding my emotions lately. That’s something I need to work on.

It’s so easy to eat cookies (or whatever) and not realize that I’m sabotaging my weight loss by doing so until AFTER the fact. I certainly don’t feel bad about eating the cookies while I’m eating them. The guilt comes afterwards. I guess that’s true for any addiction.

The cookies went off to work with hubby today and I’m sure the guys will enjoy them.

Now I just need to put together a strategy for being mindful so that I can enjoy just one cookie, but not three, four, or a dozen… which is something I had a handle on just a short while ago.

Once a struggle, always a struggle…

What foods do you struggle with? What is your strategy?

13 comments :

  1. What don't I struggle with? :) Seriously though, anything crunchy is easy for me to overdo. Dry cereal, almonds, granola bars. I love sweets, but I can't eat a ton otherwise I feel really ill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peanut butter, most sweets and especially ice cream. Never, ever have ice cream in the house and other sweets are in daughter's room because they are hers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My struggle food is more savory. I no longer buy wedges of fresh parmesan cheese(I buy shredded) because I could break of a piece, eat it, have more and before I know it...gone. To me, that is addictive. Hang in there Alissa, I'm sure Hubby's colleagues will love the cookies! Have a great Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i totally know how you feel, that always happens to me, always! When i'm first started at eating someting sweet, i just can't stop before it's totally gone! It's worst with chokolate, it is just too delicious! That is why i don't eat any sweet stuff at daily basis, don't have any in the house. But then, once a week, i allow myself to enjoy something sweet. This works pretty well for me (:

    www.happymeanshealthy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Baked good can be a problem for me, but more the raw dough. Also, candy like peanut butter cups. Those just don't come into the house.

    I have to plan out baking periodically knowing that I will be eating extra. I try to make smaller batches so that if I do overeat them, there won't be 3 dozen in the house :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I struggle with bread & baked goods. I can't ever eat one dinner roll, one cinnamon roll, one cupcake, one biscuit... As much as we'd like to allow for moderation and not to feel deprived, there are some things that there's no place for anymore. I have to let it all go until I'm sure I can be better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can you opt out of baking cookies for events? Can you find a salad or appetizer recipe to make instead?

    Because for me, I had to stop buying, storing, baking, cooking, etc. with the items I lost control with before I could gain any control. Cupcakes, and more specifically, frosting, is something I could not control. So I stopped baking cupcakes for friends, avoided routes that took me past cupcake bakeries, and would honestly sit as far away as possible from cupcakes if they were served at an event. Now, I find cupcakes so overpoweringly sweet that it is often hard for me to eat even one whole cupcake, and the whole batch is out of the question.

    What I'm saying is that you must be mentally exhausted trying to moderate foods that you have had practically no success moderating. Cookies aren't an essential nutrient or food group. Don't bake them anymore. Don't invite temptation that you can easily avoid. You won't be kicked out of your social group, and if your hubby wants cookies for his co-workers, he can buy some on the way to work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a carboholic, and addicted to sweets. It's very tough for me. I allow myself to carefully indulge and use some of my WW's WP allowence. If I cut them out completely this would never work for me. I will actually eat a breadstick or a roll and give the rest to the dog if I have to. I hate throwing away food, but I don't always trust myself to not go crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a carboholic, and addicted to sweets. It's very tough for me. I allow myself to carefully indulge and use some of my WW's WP allowence. If I cut them out completely this would never work for me. I will actually eat a breadstick or a roll and give the rest to the dog if I have to. I hate throwing away food, but I don't always trust myself to not go crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I struggle with chips and salsa at a mexican restaurant!! Eek.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm with you! I absolutle cannot have my weakness foods in my house. I am an emotional eater as well, and find that if cookies, chocolate, ice cream or (the worst) cake are in the house I can polish them off. I have recently found that if I choose one really good treat a week it tastes 10x better - because I'm not eating crap cookies like soft batch all week. Of course, I still have occasional treats (those WW coconut dream bars are great for me and I stop at two), but not eating the cheapo chocolate makes a slice of a local bakery cheesecake amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a teacher and my students love it when I make cookies. I generally make Funfetti and peanut butter cookies with a miniature Reese's in the middle. Sugar is evil and when I start eating it, it is a HUGE struggle to stop. My strategy at the end of the school year for not overindulging was to tell them I was testing myself and I could have 1 of each cookie. It worked just because of the accountability. I can't preach to them about self-discipline and then not exercise it myself. I don't if that will always work, but I'm going to try it the next time I want to bake them treats. I think it is awesome that you always reach out and get other ideas. The best plans are usually just a combination of what others have tried.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally get the cookie thing because I am the same way! I have very little willpower when it comes to cookies and sweets in general!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...