SOCIAL MEDIA

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Aqua Aerobics Class

The town that I live in offers aqua aerobics classes three nights a week for $2 per session. I know, what a deal!! I can’t believe I just found out about it this year.

I was finally free on the night of a class, so I nervously headed to the pool. I wasn’t sure what to except.

A bunch of fit ladies, maybe?

I’d be the only young one there?

No one would show up and it’d just be me and the instructor?

I wouldn’t be able to keep up?

It’d be way too easy?

None of these were correct. I really enjoyed it!

It was a chilly evening, only in the 70’s. But the water felt warm, making the air above feel very cold! Thankfully, most of the workout is done with most of the body in the water, except for the arms.

The instructor is super nice. I have talked to her a few times for my new job, so I was familiar with her before the class. She explained every move in great detail for a couple of us who had never attended a class before.

But honestly? Most of the moves I’ve done a hundred times before—just not in water! I would equate it to doing the 30 Day Shred in the water for 1 hour. But with MUCH less impact.

We started with a quick stretch and then moved into the moves to get our bodies warmed up. The moves were the same. Lunges, squats, jumping jacks, side twists, push ups, you name it. Of course there were way more moves that I can remember or describe, and some that you’d only be able to do in the water.

I was elated when I started to feel it in my arms! My arms! Yes, the ones with bat wings due to an 80 lb. weight loss with minimal arm toning exercises…

Each of us filled up two milk jugs with equal amounts of water and we did weight lifting moves, like bicep curls and head presses. And today, my arms are slightly sore! Next time, I will fill them up with more water for a harder workout.

My body feels great. I felt like I worked out hard but without the sore knees and hips. I think I even got a little sun tan.

But as for my worries about the class, I won’t be worrying next time. I’d go all three days if I wasn’t busy—and I will on weeks when I don’t have plans! I can guarantee that I would see results with my body, especially my arms. I can’t begin to tell you how excited I was about the arm workout!

I wasn’t the youngest one there, nor was I alone with the instructor! The seven, or so, ladies attending the class were all different shapes, sizes and had different fitness levels. And while I wasn’t struggling to keep up, it also wasn’t too easy for me. The great thing about it is that you can set your own pace, so you get what you put into it. And I tried to give my all.

Check your local pools to see if they offer aqua aerobics classes. It is a great workout and lots of fun! And probably not very expensive!

5 comments :

  1. It's sounds like fun after you get past the initial shyness/awkwardness. It would be really tough for me to go alone, Kudos To You for Following Thru! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know my gym has some water aerobic classes, they are just not at a time that works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried water aerobics but your class sounds like it would keep my interest, give me a good workout and be fun. I think I'll check around. Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woohoo - way to try new things!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Alissa, so glad you enjoyed the class. I went to aquafit once, had an embarrassing "wardrobe malfunction" and didn't go back. Funny now...NOT funny at the time. Oh well, I should give it another try soon. Have a great Wed.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...