SOCIAL MEDIA

Monday, January 18, 2010

Weight Loss at work: Contest

I took a leap, bloggies.

Every year in January, my company hosts a company-wide weight loss contest. I have never participated in the weight loss contest, although every time they hold some type of competition to improve health, I always do it on my own.

Well this year… I’m participating! I have a team of 2 other women and myself. We named ourselves the Lady Losers.

The only part I’m dreading is the weigh in. We will weigh in, individually, with someone in the HR department. I’m a little nervous about weighing in front of someone as I have only weighed in front of nurses and my husband. But I don’t even know the people in the HR dept, so it’s not like I’m weighing in front of my boss or something. But I’m still nervous about that!

I’m really excited about this and I am determined to at least win the prize for the largest percentage of body weight lost for the individual. I know this may not happen because a lot of people will be just beginning to lose weight and will have large numbers at first, whereas I will not, having been dieting for over a year now. But I’m sure going to try!!

I am looking for tips on ways to improve my weight loss. How can I get big losses on the scale? Don’t worry, I’m only going to be going far above what is sustainable during the competition, which ends in March. The winning team gets $150 of gift cards, that’s $50 each. There will also be 2 or 3 prizes for individual weight loss, the first prize being $50. So if my team wins AND I win, we’re talking $100. I’d really like that!

So, what can I do? Any ideas? Have you ever participated in one of these? What was your experience like?

7 comments :

  1. That sounds like fun! I have no idea how to get big losses. I have never had any LOL! I would just figure out a plan and stick to it. Probably more on the lower carb end, I imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only things i can think of are:
    Drink lots of water
    Watch your sodium
    Pick complex carbs over simple carbs
    Exercise 5-6 days a week and change things up
    Eat your regular meals plus snacks

    I'm not an expert but those are what makes sense to me :) Hope this helps

    ReplyDelete
  3. My advice would be to think about everything you eat as putting you closer to your goals or farther away. By really analyzing each choice I bet you will make a lot of healthy choices.

    I hope you win!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting, you have another challenge to motivate you to reach your personal goal

    Dont worry too much about the weigh in...just self talk positive thoughts in your mind - it makes the world of difference.

    I wanted to say and see it has been said...Workout at least 5x a week for 45mins, never less than that, and take to 60 mins. Make sure you do lots of cardio at this time as cardio burns the fat - I saw with my eating being good but my training being less than usual I gained...so to me training cardio is the answer with a good eating plan..

    ReplyDelete
  5. things I notice that help me are:
    increase water intake
    decrease sodium intake
    and get in LOADS of veggies & fruits rather than processed foods!

    I find that weeks I do those things I see much better results on the scale!

    Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I HAVE participated in a contest like this. My advice....

    Slow and steady wins the race. Many people will drop out or not even try after the first few weeks. If you just maintain your losses every week, you will do just fine. Your biggest opportunity will be to make sure your teammates don't poop out on you halfway through.

    Good luck! I will be rooting for you all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have done something like this in the past - the winners used a cleanse called Isogenix to win. Although I totally thought it was cheating at the time - I have seen them often since and the weight has stayed off - so good for them... good luck! Either way March will come and go - why not get something great done in between - right?!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...