SOCIAL MEDIA

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Back to the Basics

When I started this journey, I spent a lot of time thinking about the basics of weight loss. When I began, a huge focus for me was getting my fruits and veggies in. I remember posting on the WW community boards for ideas to get more fruits and veggies in. I got a response that said, “It’s not that hard to get your fruits and veggies in and I can’t even understand why you would ask this.” While at the time, I was a little hurt and miffed as this person, as this was supposed to be a place to go for help and encouragement (I’ve since found you bloggers MUCH better support than the WW message boards!!), I started to realize that I was making this too hard on myself.

Today, I have no problems getting my fruits and veggies in. I eat them regularly with no questions asked. It’s just part of how I eat now. Are there days where I don’t get them all in? Yes, but they’re rare and far between. Yay for this NSV! While I beat myself up now, thanks to all of your lovely comments to my last post, I have realized that I really have come so far.

But the purpose of this post is to think about the basics again. Before I decided to join WW online and lose this weight, my Dad had given me a copy of Quit Digging your Grave With A Knife and Fork: A 12-stop Program to End Bad Habits and Begin a Healthy Lifestyle written by Mike Huckabee. This book was what really got me started on this journey and was so inspirational to me. I really need to ask Dad if I can borrow it again! But this book about how simple this concept really is.

Huckabee makes the comparison to taking care of your car. You would never think about putting low quality oil in the car, or bad gas, or not even getting the oil changed. You do the best for your car because you want it to last. This really struck home with me and I thought, “Why am I not taking care of my body? Why am I eating things that aren’t good for my body?” This was over a year ago and I feel like I have started to forget the basics of this journey to health.

This was a good reminder to me that I need to start focusing again on what I’m putting into my mouth. More and more fruits and veggies. They’re never going to hurt me! Taking a closer look at food labels to make sure that they’re not laden with unhealthy fats, sugars, or even artificial sweeteners.

It’s a matter of doing the things that are good for your body. Exercise is key and I know I need to be more faithful in this. This would be SO GOOD for my HEART! We often forget about the health of our minds. What kind of thoughts are we allowing there? Positive thinking will help reduce stress and there are so many health benefits to that.

Take care of yourself- Your body can take you a long way!

9 comments :

  1. Strange this...I was busy reading this entry when it showed on my email I had a messages so checked...it was your comment on my blog!! Not amazing to you as well???

    I have to agree with this entry, I am also back to basics again and think its good for me to be here again with *new eyes*.
    I added more fresh veggies and fruit to my diet this year and when the new WW program said fruit no longer has point values ( but dont over do it ) I started to enjoy my friut again.
    I cut up kiwi's and a few grapes in my muesli and yogurt every morning - sometimes a small banana or pear...but fruit.
    I then have a pear or apple at lunch time -dinner time I have veggies with my chicken or fish...like broccoli and cauliflower - butternut or sweet potato...and then every night I make a salad with lettuce, tomato's, cucumber, small onions, yellow peppers, Avo, carrots and feta cheese.
    I need to stop using packet sauces on my foods....that area I need to look into, am trying, have not used it as yet..
    What u think of peanut butter, is that H/fat good for one??

    I have had 3 days without *A* - yesterday my daughter in law mentioned that the flavored water she and the little kids drink have *A* in it as well...so she has stopped ASAP with buying that.Today I saw my * sports * drink that I buy bottles of...its FIT and healthy product also has A in it...so that is out of my life.
    Its a road I am prepared to travel to be healthy...
    Thanks for sharing this...great info for me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo on what you have learned so far and getting in fruits and veggies. That's a fairly rude comment from someone on the WW board. We all start from different places, and if we always knew what to do, no one would be overweight or have nutritional imbalances!

    Positive thought breed positive feelings, so keep them up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting indeed....
    Okay have my jar in front of me...
    Its Barney's Best from USA...( bought in Germany )
    Ingredient: Roasted peanuts ( 90%) and sugar. Contains 2% or less molasses,fully hydrogenated vegetable oils ( rapeseed, cottonseed and soybean ) and salt.

    Okay now after reading that what are ur thoughts...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's always a good thing to get back to basics!
    I'll never forget when i posted that i was going to try banana soft serve which basically is frozen banana's put in the food processor for 4-5 minutes and comes out like ice cream. First person said why don't you just have ice cream!!!
    Mainly because banana's are very nutritious??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes thats right I also worried about that one when I saw it...its nearly finished, I have one or two tsp's a week on toast..but after that will look for something at the health shop..that shop is going to get to know this English lady a lot better from this coming week...hehehe, thanks for chats via our blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hooray for such an awesome NSV! I can't believe someone said that to you (I mean, I CAN, having been a part of various message boards before...but they shouldn't have...as you point out, people go for support, not nastiness)! That's one thing that always turns me off in message board situations. Another one is when someone gets all Do It MY Way or You're Doing It Wrong. And they've been on that program for years and feel like they own it. Grrrr.

    I'm not really engaging on the message boards at WW because I far prefer blogging, too. And am happy that I found you, for example! Thanks for the support you've already given me. Really, thanks so much. And I'm here to cheer for you if you ever need me, too!

    One thing I've already noticed by tracking is that I'm NOT getting enough fruits and veggies in. So I love your post today! Am inspired. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think many times we make weight loss way too difficult. I think hte weight loss industry tries to make it difficult so that we keep going back to them... no wonder it's a multimillion dollar industry!
    Thanks for reminding us all to go back to the basics.

    - She-Fit

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that NSV because it's not only a decision that will help you on your journey, but also one that will keep you healthy!

    I've never read that book, but was amazed at the weight Mike Huckabee lost.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a terrific post, because I think as we get farther along in our weight loss, the "basics" sometimes fade away. We settle into some routine meals, and we forget to add in those fruits and veggies. I've had to remind myself over and over again to get them into my meals!
    Boo to the WW boards, by the way - when I was doing WW online back in the day, I found the people on those boards to be rather mean and condescending - bloggies are MUCH better!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...