SOCIAL MEDIA

Friday, May 10, 2013

Letting Go

Today I wanted to talk about something that I struggle to deal with-- when a complete stranger is rude to me.

I know this sounds weird, but I find it really hard to deal with. And it’s not really only complete strangers, but just times when anyone says something hurtful, inconsiderate, or rude.

I immediately internalize the entire situation. Their behavior MUST be a result of something that I’ve done. Their rudeness to me is because I deserve to be treated that way. I am not worthy of respect.

And so, when something like this happens, I tend to let it play over and over in my mind. I can’t let it go. It eats me up inside until I’m left feeling miserable, exhausted, and negative about everything.

And then I realized something. Their behavior has nothing to do with me. How they treated me has everything to do with their own issues and has nothing to do with anything I have said or done. They’re taking their own issues out on me, not because it’s my fault, but because they don’t know how to deal with their own issues.

Forgive the other person. Not only will this help me acknowledge that it’s not my issue, but it helps me feel compassion instead of anger.

Clear the air. Kindly say something. Apologize for any wrong I may have done, and then just let it go knowing that I did all that I could to make it right.

Remember this is an isolated event. How often do things like this happen? Probably not often enough to make as big a deal as I’m making it.

And most importantly. Learn to be different. If I’ve been hurt by someone treating me a certain way, never inflict this upon someone else.

If there is anything I want to teach my kids someday, it is how to be gracious and kind.

I want to be more gracious and kind to others. The world needs more people like that.

No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...